If you have a toe nail fungus you are probably already aware of how difficult it is to treat. It can be a exceedingly obstinate type of fungal infection and, depending upon the severity of your nail infection, will necessitate a thorough treatment method, and a substantial amount of time and patience on your part. The following article will outline the top treatment method for curing your nail fungus once and for all.
There will be a number of measures involved in a comprehensive, successful toe fungus remedy. These will consist of medication from your doctor, topical solutions, preventive actions to keep the fungus from coming back, and in a few severe cases, it may possibly include removal of the nail itself. Using this treatment regimen has almost a 75-80% success ratio.
1. Antifungal drugs (oral medication) will,in most cases, provide the greatest possibility of doing away with the fungal infection. There are a few drawbacks to taking this medication however. One is that it is really costly and is often not covered with insurance, because in most cases the insurance company will view it as a cosmetic treatment and not cover it. Terbinafine, itraconazole, and fluconazole are the most commonly used oral medications.
The added concern with taking antifungal drugs is that they can have serious side effects. Your physician will want to carefully monitor you so you don’t endure from some of these possible side effects. There is a chance of liver damage and heart problems. Because of these concerns, physicians will usually prescribe oral medications in only the most severe and hard to treat fungal infections.
2. The use of topical medication is often used in conjunction with oral medication, or if the fungal infection is not severe, can be used on their own as an effective nail fungus treatment. Often times these topical solutions will be used for a considerable amount of time after the nail has healed to make sure the fungus does not return. Terbinafine and ciclopirox are two better known compounds that are used in these creams or ointments. You need to remember that these types of applications do a good job of clearing up the less severe forms of nail fungus, but do not perform as well in cases where there is a severe fungal infection.
3. Removal of the affected nail is reserved for very severe cases or in situations to where the nail fungus is causing a great deal of discomfort and pain. In most situations removing the nail is a last resort. Even with the nail gone, you still have to be sure to use a combination of medication and topical applications to ensure that the fungus does not return.
Once you have stopped the infection and you have a Fungus clear reviews healthy nail again, it is critical that you take steps to make sure it never returns. This would include:
1. Wash and dry your feet thoroughly after bathing and make sure you put powder on your feet.
2. Apply the recommended topical gel, ointment, or cream for a minimum of year afterwards.
3. Try to wear cotton socks as much as possible. If necessary change them a couple of times a day.
4. Wear shoes that “breathe” and avoid any footwear that does not ventilate your feet.
5. If you use a public shower or swim at the local pool, be sure to wear flip-flops or shower shoes of some kind. These places are notorious for picking up any number of fungal infections.